ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) – An Alaska wrongful death lawsuit blames a natural gas company and property owners for a mobile home fire that killed five young girls.
The Anchorage Daily News reported Saturday that the civil lawsuit was filed Thursday by parents Jimmy Flores and Janelle Quackenbush.
The lawsuit says Enstar Natural Gas and property owners, managers and real-estate companies contributed to the deaths in 2017 by failing to correct hazards in the Butte home.
Three-year-old Jaelynn, 6-year-old Sofia, 7-year-old Lilyanna, and 8-year-old Nevaeh Flores and 12-year-old Alexis Quackenbush all died of smoke inhalation.
The lawsuit says someone accidentally turned on the stovetop instead of adjusting the oven and an overheated pan started the fire.
An Enstar representative and the property owner declined to comment. The former owner’s attorney did not respond.
Information from: Anchorage Daily News, http://www.adn.com